Sunday, July 13, 2008

The "A" Syndrome...





Last Thursday we were invited by the school for a special (parents-teachers)meeting..The meeting was scheduled at 11 o'clock... A big problem to both of us coz Thursday is a working day...Not to upset my son and trying very hard not to give bad impression to the teachers ...one of us has to attend the meeting...and as expected..of course I am the one who attended the meeting...(meeting ngan cikgu ni kira masuk dalam fail meja seorang mama le...)


At first I don't really know the purpose of the meeting (only a simple invitation letter was given)..I was 30 minutes late (need to settle my lecture first )...When I arrived ...the teachers and parents were in the middle of discussion on how to make sure that most of the students score 5As in the coming UPSR...


After 15 minutes listening to their discussions ...somehow the panic and confuse feeling overtake my whole biological system...all of them (referring to those who were actively involve in the discussion) were so engrossed with the idea that getting 5As is the MUST for the children...MANDATORY...as if UPSR is the "life and death" issue...


Oh Please... we are talking about the 12 years old children...they are just kids..Nobody seems to care about how they feel and the pressure these kids are facing at school...they have to fulfil the school's target as well as their parents..don't you think at this age we are pushing them tooooo much!


Well, don't get me wrong.. I am a mother too and of course I want my son to excell ... I also have the same dreams like other parents BUT I strongly feel that the current system sort of forget that we are dealing with children...and I still believe that schooling/ learning should be fun !!! then the children will appreciate more... and personally I don't think that our current education system provide this... we are so concern about producing thousands 'As"...and most people (including teachers!!! )think that the ability to collect "A" is the primary indication of the children's capability...


So, to the teachers and parents out there..may be it is about time for us to think critically about this issue...All of us have our dreams and want the best for our children..but at the same time please don't forget that they are just kids and let them enjoy their childhood...

entah le...just giving opinion...

2 comments:

zlaa said...

Kesian anak-anak kita. So, how's life? Rindu nak sembang dgn u all.

mulan said...

Zal,
i pun rindu ngan u all...nanti le u balik bole kita get together and borak borak ..mesti menarik...